Pages

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

What do I do when I'm sick?


This week has been really rough for me. I was so looking forward to this thanksgiving break because J and I were going to have a whole week to hang out with Piper. We were going to decorate for Christmas and Hanukkah. So many plans. THEN... I got sick.

Now ordinarily I get sick every year around this time--BUT this time I am SICK. All caps intended! I have a bilateral ear infection and strep throat. I haven't been able to sleep because of the seering ear and throat pain. The thought of eating--and the actual act of eating has brought me to tears. It is rough.

To top it all off--I was not aloud to hold my baby for 48 hours while I took antibiotics. It was so hard to let go of the reigns and let my husband do everything. I know that he is a great dad, but it made my heart hurt to have to refuse to pick her up when she crawled to me. Did I mention that J also had a pretty nasty cold.

So what do you do when you are sick, your partner is sick, or you both are sick? How do you care for your little one when you feel like actually pulling a Van Gough with your own ear? How do you keep your little one from catching it? Here is what we did?

1. Assess the situation and decide which one of you is the lesser of two evils (if you are both sick).
 In our situation, I was obviously more sick and it was more dangerous for P to get strep than a cold. The person who is less sick becomes the primary caregiver. They will be in charge of everything for the 48 hours that the other parent is quarantined.

2. Buy those hospital ear loop masks from the grocery store and wear them whenever you are in the same room with your baby.
 I made J wear his all the time that he was with P. I also had one on whenever I was in the room with her.

3. If you are the most sick, then don't physically touch your baby until you are no longer contagious. If you can help it. If you are the only one there and your significant other is at work, then obviously to have to do it all. I would suggest wearing the mask and limiting contact as much as possible.

4. Wash your hands, wash your hands, and over wash your hands.
J was really good about this one. He washed his hands constantly and used hand sanitizer before he touched P.

5. Try not to touch your face, nose, or mouth.
If you do, then wash your hands immediately. Be ultra aware of what you are touching at all times

6. Try not to allow your baby to touch your face, nose, or mouth
I know that sometimes this is avoidable, but it really is important

7. Take a shower every day to get rid of the germs
It just goes without saying that you want to take a hot shower to get rid of anything lingering on your body so that your baby is not exposed to it.

8. Wash all bed linens after you are no longer contagious

9. Even after 48 hours is up and you are no longer contagious.
 Keep your contact with baby frequent if possible. No kisses. Don't let them touch your face, and don't touch their hands or face.

It is so hard too navigate with you are feeling so bad. You yearn to snuggle with your little baby that you love so much. While at the same time you do not want to get them sick. I hope these tips that we used help you navigate this difficult season where flu and strep are common.


No comments:

Post a Comment