Pages

Wednesday, November 5, 2014

My Favorite Fall/Winter Recipes


One of the biggest reasons that I love fall and winter so much is the food. I love stews, soups and chili! I get a ton of use our of crockpot during the colder months. I know that this trend will only continue as P gets older and gets into activities. My mommy friends say the fall months are the busiest. Plus, I love the way the crockpot makes my house smell.

I am not a good cook. Truthfully, my husband does most of the cooking in our house. It is a system that works for us. He does the cooking, and I feed P. However, when we have a crockpot meal--I get to do most of the work. It makes me feel like a good little housewife all over again.

Here are my favorite quick fall meals

Poor Man Stew--This is a family recipe and favorite. I grew up eating this, and I think it stems from the Depression Era which makes it doubly cool in my book.  I love to serve this with Buttermilk Cornbread. I even put my corn bread slice in the bowl and ladle the stew on top. SO GOOD! Here is my recipe.

1 lb Ground Beef --Brown, drain grease and dump in large soup pot
2 cans diced tomatoes
2 cans creamed corn
1 medium onion chopped
Cook over low heat for about 45 minutes. Be careful not to let the corn burn
Combine beef, tomatoes, and onion in soup pot. Allow to cook on low heat for about 30 minutes
Add corn and cook an additional 15 minutes
Serves 4

Crockpot Chili--A seasonal favorite. I love to serve with shredded cheddar cheese and Fritos.

2 lbs Ground Beef browned and drained
2 medium onions
3 cans diced tomatoes
2 cans red kidney beans
3 Tbsp Chili Powder
1 tsp Cumin
1 tsp Black Pepper
1 tsp Garlic Salt
1 tsp Salt

Add all ingredients to large crock pot and stir. Allow to cook 10-12 hours on low. Serves 4

Chicken Noodle Soup--Just a feel good meal. I love to serve with Grilled Cheeses

1/2 of a medium onion or 1 small onion chopped
1 large bag egg noodles
2 cans of chunk chicken drained
2 can sliced carrots drained
water
bouillon cubes
parsley flakes

Sautee onion in olive oil in bottom of large soup pot.
Fill pot 2/3 of the way full with HOT water and add 4 bouillon cubes
Bring water to rolling boil and then add noodles. Boil until tender (12-15 minutes)
Add carrots and chicken and reduce heat to low
Simmer for 10 minutes
Sprinkle parsley on top. Serves 4.

Crockpot Salsa Chicken

4 Chicken Breasts
1 large can of salsa
1 bag brown minute rice
1 can black beans
quacamole
sour cream
shredded cheese of choice

Place chicken in bottom of crock pot. Cover with entire can of salsa. Cook on low for 5 hours.
Shred chicken and allow to sit and soak up salsa.
Cook rice and black beans to directions.
Place rice, black beans, sour cream, quacamole, and cheese in separate bowls. Allow family to make their own burrito bowls. Serves 4.

Crockpot BBQ Chicken Sandwiches

4 Chicken Breasts
1 bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce

Place chicken in bottom of crock pot and cover with sauce. Cook on low for 5 hours. Shred and allow to sit in sauce for 15 minutes. Serve on buns for sandwiches. Serves 4.

What are your favorite quick fall meals?

No comments:

Post a Comment