Pages

Friday, May 22, 2015

This Week


This week a lot of things are going on and it is easy to get overwhelmed. I try to find the time for me everyday. This week I cam across a few things that I found to be profound. I thought I would share them with you. Here it goes...

Earlier in the week I was reading an article by Jamie Primak Sullivan where she was describing her struggle over the fact that her husband did not want anymore children. Since I can relate to that issue--I was quick to read it. While she has overcome this issue in her life, and has learned to be ok with her 3 children (which is A LOT of kids IMO) there was something that she said that just sliced right through me. So much so that I brought it to J that night. He is an amazing man, and I love him, but he wasn't affected by the statement like I was--men! Jamie said, "you never regret having that last one, but you might regret the one you didn't have." I read that statement and instantly tears formed in my eyes. That truth resonated with me like a coin thrown into a fountain or an unspoken prayer at bedtime. It was deep to me. BUT--this coming from the person who subjects herself to videos of births even though I know I will cry when that baby finally makes it's way into the world. I might not be the best judge of it's effectiveness. What do you think?

When you become a parent you start to look at things different then you might have before. Yesterday, as I was scrolling through Facebook, I encountered the story about Josh from 19 Kids and Counting. Now, I am a faithful watcher of the show--so I felt saddened as I was reading the story.  I saw countless people gain ammunition towards the Duggar family over this. That makes me sad because I do feel that they do a lot of things right with their children. Sure 19 children is a little crazy, but there is a lot of positive in what they do. Things like their buddy system where they pair up older children with younger children, jurisdictions or chores, courting etc. I'm a fan. So this article made me sad.

As I was reading it--I became angry. I was angry that this father of three (one more on the way) has had to resign from his job because of something that he did when he was 14 years old. 14 years old. When I think back to the things that I did when I was 14--let's just say we won't even go there. He was a child himself--so I can understand why his parents didn't think to report it. How many of you would turn your 14 year old over to the police. They dealt with it internally, and I think that if Piper did something like that--I would do the same thing. Your first instinct is to protect your child. I understand that feeling now. I sympathize with that and with them. I wish them the best. He has a very young family to support, and his actions when he was a teen do not define him today. I truly believe that.

Lastly, while watching the RHONY I came across another great gem from Bethenny Frankel. She was talking to her "dad" and if you don't understand why I put that in quotes then you will have to go back and watch the last episode. It is some crazy crap from her childhood. Anyway--she is great with one liners that are just filled with wisdom. This one was particularly perfect for me. Everyone carries anger in their life. I know I do. Bethenny said, "holding anger is like continuously drinking poison and expecting the other person to die." Anger does nothing to correct the problem, and just taints your life to the point where it can hurt your relationships and all things good. Learning to let go of anger is something that we all struggle with--me included.

That's it. Just a little bit of knowledge from this week.
Have a GREAT weekend, ya'll!

No comments:

Post a Comment