Pages

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Happy Birthday Poppy!


This past weekend was my grandfather's 93rd Birthday. As I sit here thinking abut all of the incredible things that he has lived through in his 93 years--I find myself thinking I hope I live that long. We should all be so lucky as to be alive during the Great Depression, WWII, Vietnam, the 80s, and to see the birth and growth of computers.

This man is not your ordinary 93 year old. He can build anything. A few years ago in his late 80s, he built his own computer. Something that wasn't even around (at least for most families) for the majority of his life. Talk about a sharp mind. I can't imagine that. My brain doesn't have the capacity for that. That brings me to this question, Where has education gone wrong today that we don't produce more people like him and less people like me? He looks at a problem and finds a solution. He builds it himself and it just works. Me, I find a problem and I find someone to fix it. Such are the times.

He's seen a lot, done a lot. But I bet you if you asked him what the best things he saw were, you wouldn't have to look much further than his late wife, 3 daughters, 4 grandchildren, and 2 great grandchildren. I mean, that is what we are all here for, right? Raising 3 daughters who are all strong, opinionated, successful women with strong marriages. 4 grandchildren who are all either college educated, in the process of, or successful in their fields. 2 of the cutest great grandchildren I have ever seen--though I may be biased on that one. That is what life is all about. It may not be what all of us measure the success of our lives on--but it should be.

Since my grandfather lost my grandmother suddenly years ago, he spent the last ten years and change fulfilling a promise he had made to her to see the country. He has visited all 50 states. I know that my grandmother is smiling up there in heaven because she got to see it all through him. And the adventures didn't stop there since last year he visited Scotland and Greece (at 92 years old). He is an amazing man with a wealth of knowledge that I can't even begin to comprehend. I am so thankful for him and I hope for many more birthdays and trips. Happy Birthday Poppy!

No comments:

Post a Comment