Pages

Tuesday, May 5, 2015

It Takes A Village


Over the past two weeks I was out of my home office due to state testing. It is always a very long and hard two weeks, but since I added Mom to my resume--It is definitely a lot more complicated. This time last year, P was a tiny four month old and I was terrified of being away from her fro that long. I was still breastfeeding, and that added a whole other level of stress to my plate.

This year, I was expecting that I would feel a bit more comfortable with being away from P for two weeks, alas, I was not. I found myself dreading it as the days and weeks drew nearer. I was terrified that she wouldn't do well in the care of my friends and family.

First, let me say that I have been extremely lucky to have family and friends step up to care for my sweet P while I am away for work. This kept us from having to pay for daycare, and it kept her from being with strangers. I thought that this would make her more comfortable. I was so worried that she wouldn't sleep in these strange places, that she would eat her food. I stressed that she would show my friends her best tantrums.

In typical Piper fashion, she showed me that she had this completely under control. Once again I have learned to never doubt how amazing my child is. I got good reports from everyone that watched her each day, and I was able to work peacefully without worry.

What I learned is that I have a pretty amazing support system surrounding me. People that love P and me enough to help out in a tough spot. I am endlessly thankful for their support and for the fact that they will love on my baby girl just like I would when I can't be there. I am reminded of the saying, "it takes a village to raise a child." Well, I'm still a believer. I have always felt that it was important for my child to have adults outside of her parents to support her and love her. AND--I know she has them.

The only down side to being away was missing all of my snuggles and kisses. P has changed so much over the last month. I can't wait to tell you all about it tomorrow. Until then--enjoy your little ones or big ones each and every moment. The change in then is so subtle that it is hard to notice daily, but weekly I marvel at all of the new things P can do. I pray I always see her brilliance. It is truly an honor to care for her.

Happy Tuesday, Y'all!

1 comment:

  1. You are such a great Mom!!! Way to go for making it that long away from your peanut. I hate thinking of leaving her for just one night, so I don't know how you did it! Glad its all over now and summer is almost here =0)

    ReplyDelete