Pages

Sunday, December 28, 2014

P's First Christmas and Becoming Santa


This Christmas was one that I will remember for many reasons. Mostly, because it was P's first. I feel in love with Christmas all over again. It takes on a different meaning. You have such amazing memories from your childhood and you realize that those traditions and memories are the biggest gift that you could ever give your child. I gto to shop for P and open all of her gifts with her. And eventhough she wasn't really aware of what was going on. It was the first time she had been around my whole side of the family at once. It was very special to me that she have that experience. This year is the first year that I experienced the other side of Santa Clause.

As a child I loved Santa! I bought into it hook, line, and sinker. I love the tradition so much! It made Christmas very exciting for me. I want to have that for my daughter! My husband, having grown up Jewish--doesn't get it. He feels that it will be lying to P. While I know that it is true that it is a lie--I still want to do it. I just have such happy memories from my childhood waking up on Christmas morning to the gifts, writing letters to Santa every year, and going to get my picture taken at the mall. I don't buy that it is about getting your child to be good all year. I don't care about that as much. I am all for any tradition that will bring a huge smile to my child's face. I know that this one will.

I suspected, but wasn't completely sure, of just how much joy I would get out of the whole process from the other side. Last week, I dragged J all around on our Santa mission. What I loved most about it was that it became time for the two of us to spend together as well. I enjoyed so much shopping for P with him. We debated on which toys would be the best. We argued about whether she was developmentally ready for a few toys. I always seemed to think that she was while he would say she wasn't quite there yet. It was a bunch of fun.

In the end I think we ended up with a few great things. J and I both agree that the gifts from Santa shouldn't be outrageously expensive. We do not want to perpetuate the idea that Santa discriminates from child to child. We don't want to ruin anyone's idea of this fun tradition. So we tried to keep it simple and practical. I am also all about keeping with things that are needed or that I have been wanting to get her for awhile.

To me it is more about spending time with your family. Growing up, it was the only time that our whole family gathered and spent the night together under one roof. That was so special to me. I am realizing that this may not always be the case as our families are growing too large for one house. My cousin has a 16 month old as well. It was so much fun watching the two babies in the house. I know for my mother and her sisters--it breathed new life into this season. My Grandmother loved Christmas so much and she always made it very special for all of us, and since her death it has never really felt the same. With these two little tykes running around--I feel that we have a reason to make it extra special again. I am most thankful for that this year.

I have always enjoyed giving gifts. I will admit that I like receiving them a lot as well, but I get happiness from buying for those that I love. So I am sure that now that I have P to buy for I will enjoy it all the more. While I am sure that this year P did not really understand what was going on--I am so looking forward to the years to come where I can really appreciate the wonder that Santa and Christmas will bring to my child.

Hope your Christmas was as special as mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment