Pages

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Daddy's Girl


As soon as everyone found out that I was having a baby girl--they were quick to tell me that little girls are just closer with their daddy. I heard it over and over everywhere I went. Some people even went as far as to say, "you should try for a boy next because they love their mommy." I thought, Really? Does the gender make that big of a difference? Will the fact that she is a girl mean she will love her dad more than me?

She should love me more. I carried her for 9 months. It was me that couldn't brush my teeth without throwing up. Me who couldn't sleep because of her kicking my ribs throughout the night. Me who labored with her. It was me that sacrificed my body to breastfeed and then pump for her over the last nine whole months.  Me that works from home so that she doesn't have to go to daycare. I clean up the vomit, poop, and urine. I patiently (and not so patiently at times) spoon feed her baby food. Compared to me--daddy is definitely the lesser parent, right?

Wrong. My husband is not the typical father and husband. He does a lot around the house, and rarely complains. He cooks while I feed P dinner. He does the dishes while P and I play and dance. He gives P a bath, and then we all have story time together.  He does all of these things after working a full day. He is always thinking of me, and rarely of himself. He is hands on and involved. 

When he found out we were having a girl he worried how he would do it. He didn't know anything about girls. I told him all he had to do was love her and play with her just like he did his son. I know that he will be great at playing Barbies and having fancy tea parties. I can see him letting her put makeup on his face and braid his hair. I don't worry about their connection. I know it will be very strong.

Baby girl is a daddy's girl. Monday afternoon I heard the familiar sound of the garage door opening. My husband was home from work. P and I were playing on the floor together. She was eating puffs out of my hand and watching Baby First TV. Daddy walked in. P greets him with the biggest smile I have ever seen, a big chuckle, and then she takes off crawling at light speed into his arms. She was so happy to see him. She has never done that when I come home after being away for awhile. 

This exchange filled my heart with happiness. I got that little tickle in the back of my throat. It was a heartwarming moment. I was witnessing their bond first hand. While I am still waiting for her to do that for me--I know that I get to do a lot of things with her that my husband does not. I cannot be jealous of that.

We are getting to the point where P is able to show her love for us. It is such a special feeling. We have gone months of loving her to amazing lengths with nothing in return, and now it is all paying off. She will give us kisses and hugs. She will crawl to me when she is tired--or just because she wants to sit in my lap. Reciprocation--it is amazing.

P is not the most affectionate baby. She doesn't really like to be held or cuddled. She doesn't like to be rocked unless she is really sleepy--so the moments where she shows us her love are really special. I will never forget the look on her face when she saw her daddy for the first time all day. It was truly priceless. I can't wait to see her love for him grow. 

What types of things do your husbands do with their daughters?




No comments:

Post a Comment