Pages

Sunday, August 31, 2014

Georgia Girl--Piper's First UGA Game


I love this time of year. When Labor Day weekend rolls around, I start to get excited. It's football season again! My husband and I are huge football fans. We have Falcon's seasons tickets and I am a HUGE Georgia Bulldogs fan.

To me the Bulldogs are more than just a football team. They represent the two and half years that I spent in Athens as a student. I have so many good memories from my time spent there. I remember being at that first black out game against Auburn when the dogs ran out in those black jerseys for the first time in history--the whole stadium seemed to shake as if there was an earthquake. I also remember being at that next black out game against Alabama in which I left in the third quarter with tears of disappointment stinging my eyes. I remember the chills I always got on the back on my neck when I heard the trumpet solo at the beginning of every game. I remember putting my four fingers high in the air as the fourth quarter rolled around. I remember freezing my butt off in the misty rain during my last game in Sanford Stadium as Matt Stafford led us to a loss against Georgia Tech (which is unheard of). I remember going to the Sugar Bowl in New Orleans and chasing a heard of Georgia players into a restaurant because I thought I saw Knowshon Moreno--I also remember how I laughed at how many times we sacked Hawaii's quarterback in the Super Dome. I remember going to the Sugar Bowl in the Georgia Dome and watching in horror as we got spanked by West Virginia. I remember crying along with Aaron Murray as I watched us fall 5 yards short of the National Championship game two years ago as we lost to Alabama (again). I have so many good, bad, and ugly memories all rolled into one big red and black package that I am so thankful for.


More than that the Bulldogs represent a part of my past and childhood that I hold sacred. I spent every fall Saturday growing up watching the Dawgs with my Dad. I love watching the games with him--how happy he  is when they are winning. He taught me everything I know about football. I asked questions and he answered giving me examples from the plays that I was seeing. Georgia football was something that we did together. It never quite feels the same watching the games without him. It's just not as much fun. BUT--I live an hour away now, and it is not always easy to get together on a Saturday.

Last night my parents drove up to watch the Georgia home opener against Clemson. This was a particularly special game for me because it was the first Bulldog game in which Piper was alive. Even though she had no clue what was going on--I loved dressing her up in her Georgia tutu and onesie (with matching bow of course) and holding her in my lap as I shared the experience with her. My hope is that this will become something that we will share together one day.

To top it all off--my dawgs pulled out a huge impressive win over Clemson--after a slightly rocky start. We had a great time cheering them on, eating pizza and cookie cake, and watching Piper play on the floor. It was a perfect way to usher in the new football season, all of us together. I can't wait for many more Saturdays just like it. Maybe in a few years we will take Piper to a game at Sanford--and as I type this I get that familiar tingle in the back of my throat, and tears start to flood my eyes a bit. I know it's crazy--but I love my girl and I love my dawgs. The two of them together is just more than I can handle.

Till the next Saturday my friends, GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO DAWGS! Sic' Em! Woof, Woof, Woof

No comments:

Post a Comment